Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Best Sugar Cookies!


I went to our women's retreat thru our church last weekend and brought my only "claim to fame" -- my sugar cookies. I have to bring them to every family holiday gathering and now I wonder if I'll have to bring them back to the retreat each year ... LOL.. that's ok... I enjoy making them. Below is the recipe... and look at the cute little sandwich bag toppers! I will send you a set of 2 with ANY purchase at Farmhousefive.com before Valentine's Day... just remind me in check out notes.


This recipe was given to me about 12 years ago from a friend. She heard about it on the radio. One of the disc jockeys loved this recipe so much he shared it. Make these cookies and see if you are not the hit of the party! They are very EASY to roll out (no need to chill!) and icing is TDF. (not the dull tasting royal icing here). They don't turn out as pretty as Martha Stewart's royal icing cookies, but I know they taste better! Here's the recipe:

In your mixer cream the butter and sugar, add eggs & vanilla.

2 sticks BUTTER (no margarine, please!)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla (the real deal)


Add dry ingredients:

3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar (I know this is what makes the cookies special).
1/2 tsp. salt

Roll dough 1/8" thick. Use cookie cutter to make seasonal forms. Bake for 7 mins @ 375. (I check at 5 1/2 to 6 minutes) or until lightly golden brown just around the edges (don't over bake). Makes about 5 dozen 2" round cookies. For frosting combine the following ingredients:

1 1b box of confectioner's sugar
1 stick of butter
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla

No need to add milk (but if you want to just add a tsp, doesn't need it).

Have fun decorating! Post me a comment if you make these. I want to hear how you are queen for the day! (seriously! LOL).

1 comment:

Farmhousefive Art 4 Kids said...

This message was emailed to me by Sharon U., Spokane, WA:

Hi Therese,

Ok, these are the best sugar cookies I have ever made or tasted!! The cream of tarter and cream cheese absolutely make them the best, in my recipe book, wow! My husband and 4 yr old joined me on Saturday afternoon to frost and decorate for Valentines Day, what a hoot!! I think we ate more than we saved! I thought I had over cooked but once we put that frosting on they became so soft and goooood. Thank you so much for sharing an easy and fabulous recipe, I am going to try them on my relatives, they won't believe they came from me!! My husband isn't much on cookies but he has ate his fair share and keeps going back to check if there is any left. I thank you, my husband thanks you and my daughter! Have a great week.